U.S. General Services Administration Awards Contract for Silvio J. Mollo Federal Building Modernization
October 5, 2022
NEW YORK CITY – The U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) Northeast and Caribbean Region has awarded a Construction Manager as Contractor (CMc) contract to Turner Construction for the modernization of the Silvio J. Mollo Federal Building.
Under the CMc contract, Turner Construction will provide construction expertise during the design phase with a Guaranteed Maximum Price in the amount of $236 million. Turner is a North America-based, international construction services company and is a leading builder in diverse market segments.
Constructed in 1974, and located in the Civic Center District of Manhattan, the 10-story Silvio J. Mollo Federal Building at 1 St. Andrew's Plaza houses the offices of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York.
The project will include the following sustainable features:
- LEED Platinum certification
- Net-zero carbon certification from the International Living Future Institute
- Fully electric-powered building (with renewable utility sources)
- Rooftop photovoltaics (solar panels)
- Dedicated outdoor air system to improve indoor air quality by removing contaminants from outdoor air and help address building humidity levels
- High-performance facade to provide maximum natural light to building tenants and improve building temperature control
- Water reuse system for the cooling tower.
Design is scheduled for completion by January 2024.
To ensure a high standard of excellence for the American public, GSA engages the best private-sector architects and engineers to design, modernize existing, and construct new Federal buildings through its Design Excellence Program.
GSA provides national leadership, policy direction, and standards in the areas of architecture, engineering, urban development, sustainable design, fine arts, historic preservation, construction services and project management.
About GSA: GSA provides centralized procurement and shared services for the federal government, managing a nationwide real estate portfolio of nearly 370 million rentable square feet, overseeing approximately $75 billion in annual contracts, and delivering technology services that serve millions of people across dozens of federal agencies. GSA's mission is to deliver the best customer experience and value in real estate, acquisition, and technology services to the government and the American people. For more information, visit GSA.gov and follow us at @USGSA.