Buy Green Services
When federal purchasers hear about "green services," they usually have one of two things in mind.
- Services that directly address environmental issues, such as waste management or energy metering services; or
- Construction or service contracts where sustainable products are delivered, furnished for Government use, or furnished for Contractor use at a federally controlled facility.
Requirements and Policy
Federal Acquisition Regulation
In accordance with FAR Part 23, service contracts must require the use or supply of sustainable products covered by certain Federal environmental programs, when applicable. Sustainable products include energy efficient, recycled content, water efficient, biobased, and other environmentally preferable products. The GSA Green Procurement Compilation summarizes sustainable acquisition requirements and offers additional guidance on how to include environmental considerations in Federal service contracts.
Find and Purchase
GSA Multiple Award Schedule
Through the GSA Multiple Award Schedule (MAS) Program, agencies can contract with environmental services providers to plan for strategic environmental performance, manage greenhouse gases, develop sustainable buildings, manage water efficiently, maintain green fleets and transportation, pollution prevention, and waste reduction. Examples of these offerings include:
- Environmental Services: Hire industry experts to meet agency environmental requirements in pollution prevention, HAZMAT, electronics stewardship, and other areas, including environmental consulting, environmental management training, materials and waste recycling and disposal, geographic information systems services, remediation and reclamation.
- Facilities Maintenance and Management: Maintain and manage greener facilities with comprehensive energy management, water conservation and support services, including building commissioning, energy audits, energy management planning and strategies, energy program support, innovations in energy, introduction of new services, metering services, resource efficiency management, training on energy management, water conservation.
- Energy Savings Performance Contract (ESPC) ENABLE: This program allows a standardized and streamlined procurement process for small federal projects to install energy conservation measures (ECMs) in six months or less. Pre-established procurement and technical tools to administer these projects are available through MAS Special Item Number 334512.