Remarks for San Luis Land Port of Entry Groundbreaking Event on June 27, 2023 Prepared for Administrator Robin Carnahan
It’s great to be here with Governor Hobbs, Senator Kelly, Mayor Riedel, Mayor Yescas, Executive Director Stakes, Consul General Biedebach, Minister Valle Álvarez, and leaders from across the community and this region.
Today, it was an honor to break ground on the San Luis Land Port of Entry – our first major Bipartisan Infrastructure project. It’s the first big example of how this Administration is making once-in-a-generation investments to create good-paying local jobs, to enhance security and sustainability, and to build a stronger and more prosperous future for all our communities.
Folks, this is what President Biden’s Investing in America agenda is all about. After years of inaction on infrastructure, this Administration is delivering: with shovels in the ground, cranes in the air, and jobs in our communities.
When I was here in December, I saw first-hand how important this project would be for our nation. This land port is crucial for security, of course, but also for the U.S. food supply, the nation’s economy, and much more…
- It’s one of the busiest non-commercial land ports in Arizona, processing about 3 million vehicles and 2.5 million pedestrians each year.
- It’s a vital gateway for agriculture - producing many of the vegetables consumed in the U.S., particularly in winter.
- And it’s an anchor for communities on both sides of the border.
So, that’s why we’re building a new, state-of-the-art facility to make sure this land port meets the evolving needs of the people who depend on it.
Listen to this…
- We’re doubling the number of inspection lanes (from 8 to 16);
- We’re building a 21,000-square-foot pedestrian inspection building with 14 inspection booths;
- And we’re incorporating cutting-edge technology that will speed up crossing while combating drug trafficking and other illegal activity.
But that’s not all…we’re also leveraging approximately $100 million from the Inflation Reduction Act to make it sustainable and cost effective…by incorporating low-carbon materials and new clean energy technologies.
We’re proud to say that this facility is designed to:
- Achieve the highest possible LEED Platinum certification;
- Incorporate water-saving features, advanced insulation materials, and energy-efficient heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems so this land port can be resilient in the desert environment;
- And, with the all-electric design, solar panels, and storage technologies we’re aiming to make this the first net-zero land port in the country – putting this project on the cutting edge of innovation and moving us toward the President’s goal of net-zero federal buildings by 2045.
This facility will be a model for dozens of other land ports across our southern and northern borders. We’ll be making similar investments across the country in partnership with CBP and all thanks to funding from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law.
Senator, I know that’s something you worked hard to get passed, so I’m especially glad you could be here to see how those funds are getting put to work here in San Luis.
But this isn’t the only land port in the country – or in Arizona – that’s going to benefit from President Biden’s Invest in America agenda. We’re also investing in upgrades to LPOEs in Nogales and Douglas - and we know all of these investments will deliver big returns for local communities, for our nation, and for the environment.
If you remember nothing else today, remember that we’re partnering with local communities like this to drive toward a triple win:
- Creating good jobs that boost our economy and our national security;
- Saving taxpayer dollars through reduced energy costs at our buildings and in our supply chains…
- And ensuring a healthier planet for our kids.
The work starts now - so I want to close by asking all our partners in this project to stand up. Community leaders, our CBP partners, contractors, and the GSA team.
Take a look around, and let’s give them a round of applause. It’s because of their hard work and dedication that we’ll get that triple win for this community. I’m excited that we’re getting started and thanks in advance to all of you for your partnership in this important work.