Canopy construction work continues at Calexico West Port of Entry
New series of daytime northbound vehicle lane closures will occur over the next 3 weeks
CALEXICO, Calif. ㅡ The U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) announced a new set of weekday, daytime northbound vehicle inspection lane closures at the Calexico West Land Port of Entry (LPOE) scheduled to take place over the next three weeks. The lane closures are related to the installation of the vehicle inspection canopy and will occur weekdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., starting Monday, February 20, 2023 and ending Wednesday, March 8, 2023. During this period, three contiguous northbound lanes will be closed to accommodate construction work, leaving at least seven lanes available for U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers to conduct vehicle inspection operations.
The vehicle inspection lane closure sequence is outlined below:
- February 20 - 22 - The three westermost northbound vehicle lanes (8-10) will be closed from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- February 23 - 27 - The three western middle northbound vehicle lanes (6-8) will be closed from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- February 28 - March 1 - The three middle northbound vehicle lanes (4-6) will be closed from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- March 2 - 6 - The three eastern middle northbound vehicle lanes (2-4) will be closed from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- March 7 - 8 - The three easternmost northbound vehicle lanes (1-3) will be closed from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Drivers should anticipate possible delays, monitor traffic signs, and reduce speeds near and around the construction work area. They are also encouraged to enter through the Calexico East LPOE to help alleviate traffic congestion at the Calexico West LPOE.
The current nighttime lane closures to install segments of the shade canopy will continue through Fall 2023. GSA is working with CBP to minimize negative impacts to port operations and ensure the safety of the traveling public. This work is part of GSA’s larger reconfiguration and expansion project at the port which supports the CBP mission and will improve traveler’s border-crossing experience.
For more information about the Calexico West LPOE reconfiguration and expansion project, visit the project page.