The U.S. General Services Administration recognizes exemplary achievements demonstrating construction excellence on GSA projects of all sizes. From small projects to capital construction projects, from limited scope repairs and alterations to new construction projects, GSA will consider all projects that, at a minimum, resulted in highly successful outcomes while delivering best value and demonstrating excellent practice of the following values: safety, construction quality and craftsmanship, collaboration and team dynamics, sustainability, innovation and technology. The team members who best exemplify construction excellence in the delivery of GSA projects will be publicly celebrated at the bi-annual GSA Construction Awards Ceremony. The winning projects and teams will be highlighted in a video and shared publicly through GSA’s media network.
Applicants may submit a project for one or more of the following categories that best describe the project:
- Capital Projects (defined as projects over $3.6 million).
- Repairs and Alterations (government owned projects).
- New Construction (government owned and leased projects).
- Small Projects (defined as projects under $3.6 million).
- Alternative Financing Projects (regardless of size), such as Energy Savings Performance Contracts, land exchange projects, government to government partnerships, etc.
We will select winning and honorary mention team awards from each category. Nominations and selections will be determined at the discretion of the jury.
Special Recognition Categories
We may award additional special recognition categories as submissions are reviewed and judged. Special recognition categories will change from year to year to best reflect GSA’s mission and goals at the time. For 2024 awards (2023 submissions), special recognition categories are:
- Engaged Customer.
- Projects Exemplifying Meaningful Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility Practices.
- Outstanding Subcontractor.
- Outstanding Construction Manager.
- Outstanding Demonstration of Ingenuity (in sustainability, technology, process, etc.).
Project of the Year
We will select one overall winner as The Project of the Year. The Project of the Year will be celebrated with a highlight video published on GSA’s website.
Only projects meeting these minimum criteria will be considered:
- Completed and owner-occupied no later than three years prior to submission date.
- Completed on or ahead of schedule.*
- Completed within budget.*
- Completed with no claims or litigation.
- Met or exceeded owner/customer/major tenant expectations. Please upload CPARS review if one was completed for your project.
- No project that involves prime, multi-prime or sub-trade contractors with a safety-related fatality is eligible to be considered for an award.
*Projects with cost overruns or schedule delays due to unusual/unforeseen conditions or at the direction of the owner are eligible to submit if the cost overrun or schedule delay was approved by the owner. Applicants will be asked to explain the situation as part of the submission.
Submissions will be rigorously judged by a panel consisting of construction professionals from the National Construction Excellence Peer Registry and by appointment. Each submission will be evaluated for how well it demonstrates excellent practice in construction safety, construction quality and craftsmanship, collaboration and team dynamics, sustainability, innovation, and technology. GSA is looking to recognize projects that achieved exceptional outcomes through any of the following delivery methods: Design-Bid-Build, Design-Build, and Construction Manager as Constructor.
The jury may choose to make more than one award in any category, make no award in a category, or switch a project to another category.
Winners will be notified by email of their selection and celebrated later in a public forum. We will plan the ceremony in accordance with health and safety conditions and present certificates to the winning firms and the GSA regions under whose authority the work was performed.
- Safety Program and Record (or Construction Worker Safety and Health).
- Construction Delivery Process and Effective Use of Best Practices.
- Collaboration with Design.
- Teaming Performance (or Project Teamwork).
- Project Team use of BIM/VDC and other technologies (or Technology Integration).
- Meeting Difficult Challenges.
- Handling Unforeseen Conditions.
- Client Satisfaction.
- Construction Site Leadership and Culture.
- Special Characteristics:
- Construction Craftsmanship.
- Sustainable Construction Practices.
- Innovative Use of Technology.
Entries will be submitted by the General Contractor and reviewed online. To enter, please submit your project through our GSA Construction Awards Project Submission Form no later than Saturday, September 30 at 12:00pm EST. If you would like to preview the submission questions and project eligibility minimum requirements, please visit our Construction Awards Preview Questions [PDF - 97 KB]. You may also submit questions directly to GSAConstructionAwards@gsa.gov.
We may request additional materials from award winners for publicity and exhibition purposes. All entry materials become the property of GSA and may be used to publicize the GSA Construction Awards and other GSA activities.
Proposed Schedule for GSA Construction Awards
The GSA Construction Awards will take place every other year and will alternate with the Design Awards. The awards ceremony will be held in Washington D.C., with the winning teams invited to attend in person or virtually.
The 2024 Construction Award Schedule:
- Call for Submissions: July 10, 2023.
- Submission Deadline: September 30, 2023.
- Evaluation Committee Selection: July 2023.
- Evaluation: September-November 2023.
- Invitations to the Award Ceremony: January 2024.
- Award Ceremony: February 28, 2024 in Washington, D.C.