3D-4D building information modeling
In 2003, the General Services Administration, through its Public Buildings Service established the National 3D-4D-BIM Program. Since then, this program has evolved into a collaboration between the Public Buildings Information Technology Services (PB-ITS) and PBS, through its Governance Board. The program supports BIM uses across all PBS business lines.
The power of visualization, coordination, simulation, and optimization from 3D, 4D, and BIM computer technologies allows GSA to more effectively meet customer, design, construction, asset management, facility management, and program requirements. GSA is committed to a strategic and incremental adoption of 3D, 4D, and BIM technologies.
There is a progression from 2D to 3D, 4D, and BIM. While 3D models make valuable contributions to communications, not all 3D models qualify as BIM models since a 3D geometric representation is only part of the BIM concept.
Critical to successful integration of computer models into project coordination, simulation, and optimization, as well as asset and facility management, is the inclusion of information—the “I” in BIM. As a shared knowledge resource, BIM can serve as a reliable basis for decision making and reduce the need for re-gathering or re-formatting information. GSA is currently exploring the use of BIM technology throughout a building’s lifecycle.
GSA requires model-based design, including native and IFC BIM deliverables at all project milestones, with any required supplementary 2D deliverables to be derived from the model. GSA also requires open-standard facility management data as a project deliverable at all project milestones. At the same time, all GSA projects are encouraged to deploy mature 3D, 4D, and BIM technologies to the maximum extent practicable to support specific project challenges and to continue to lead industry in the development and adoption of BIM as a building lifecycle tool.
The following are highlights of the GSA National 3D-4D-BIM Program:
- Establishing policy to require BIM adoption for all major projects and across GSA business lines
- Providing expert support and resources for ongoing capital projects to incorporate 3D, 4D, and BIM technologies
- Providing guidance for continued use of BIM data in asset and facility management
- Assessing industry readiness and technology maturity
- Developing solicitation and contractual language for 3D-4D-BIM services (for GSA Internal Use only)
- Partnering with BIM vendors, other federal agencies, professional associations, open standard organizations, and academic/research institutions
- Building a community of BIM Champions within GSA
The shortcut to this page is www.gsa.gov/bim.