Build websites and digital services
Tools and guidance to help you build websites and digital services that meet your agency’s mission, and provide critical, trusted information and services to customers.
Review high-level requirements, and connect with colleagues across government.
- Review the Requirements for Federal Websites and Digital Services.
- Find and join Digital.gov communities that interest you (requires .gov or .mil email address).
Ensure access for all, regardless of ability.
- Review the Guide to Accessible Web Design & Development.
- View Section 508 standards.
- Test your website to ensure it meets Section 508 standards.
- Find your agency’s IT accessibility program manager.
- Join the IT Accessibility Community of Practice.
Design & Usability
Create content, systems, and services that are easy to find, understand, and use.
- Consult the U.S. Web Design System to make your website mobile-friendly and accessible.
- Follow the Digital Services Playbook to keep your digital products focused and effective.
- Use plain language to make it easier for the public to read, understand, and use government communications.
- Join the User Experience Community.
Authentication and cybersecurity
Develop tools that are safe and secure to use.
- Familiarize yourself with cybersecurity programs and policies.
- View our cybersecurity IT products.
- Join a Cybersecurity Community of Practice.
Cloud and hosting
Find platform and hosting options.
- Visit the Cloud Information Center.
- Build, launch, and manage your website with Federalist.
- Join the Cloud and Infrastructure Community.
Services and solutions
Find services and solutions to meet your digital development needs.
- Learn about GSA’s Technology Transformation Services.
- View more GSA Shared Services.
21st Century IDEA
Signed into law in December 2018, the 21st Century Integrated Digital Experience Act requires federal executive branch agencies to build websites and digital services that:
- Are accessible to individuals with disabilities in accordance with Section 508.
- Have a consistent appearance.
- Are authoritative; do not overlap with or duplicate existing websites.
- Contain a search function.
- Are provided through a secure connection.
- Are designed around user needs with data-driven analysis.
- Provide an option for a more customized digital experience.
- Are functional and usable on mobile devices.