Order-Level Materials (OLMs)
Benefits of OLMs
- Increases the flexibility of the MAS Program to provide a total solution to meet the ordering activity's requirements.
- Reduces agency procurement and administrative costs and enhances the time savings and streamlined processes of leveraging MAS contracts.
- Increases competition, resulting in cost savings for the ordering activity.
- All Schedule terms and conditions apply to OLMs (e.g., Trade Agreements Act (TAA) and mandatory environmental attributes clauses), which ensures agency purchases are compliant with FAR and other regulatory guidelines.
Authority and Procedures to Utilize OLMs
In accordance with its authority under FAR 8.403(b), GSA established special ordering procedures for the inclusion of OLMs under specific designated subcategories [PDF - 88 KB] as listed below. The General Services Acquisition Regulation (GSAR) prescribes OLM procedures at GSAR subpart 538.72. The specific ordering procedures are contained in GSAR clause 552.538-115, Special Ordering Procedures for the Acquisition of Order-Level Materials.
OLMs may be added to any order-type, i.e., Firm Fixed-Price, Time & Materials (T&M), or Labor Hour. The OLM CLIN must be T&M, but it can be the only T&M CLIN on the order. OLMs may be added to a Firm Fixed-Price order, but the OLM CLIN itself must be T&M, therefore the order would be considered a hybrid order in this scenario.
Travel is not considered an OLM and not subject to OLM procedures. Travel may be authorized in accordance with Schedule clause C-FSS-370, Contractor Tasks/Special Requirements, paragraph (b). Travel costs are governed by FAR 31.205-46, which addresses Federal Travel Regulations, Joint Travel Regulations, and Standardized Regulations (Government Civilians, Foreign Areas). The ordering activity's CO must establish a separate CLIN for travel. The travel CLIN may be established as direct-reimbursable or priced on a firm-fixed-price (FFP) basis. Travel costs are not subject to the 33.33% limitation on OLMs.
OLM Training and Resources
- Download the OLM Ordering Guide.
- GSAR Case 2016-G506 Federal Supply Schedule, Order Level Materials - Final Rule - January 21, 2018
- Technical Amendment to Final Rule - August 16, 2018
- Administrative Updates to GSAR - April 1, 2022
Additional Guidance and Frequently Asked Questions
- Order-Level Materials SIN Description
- Summary of Support Item Types for GSA Schedules Program Orders [PDF - 184 KB]
- Instructions to Quoters [PDF - 83 KB]
- Order Level Materials FAQs [PDF - 325 KB]
Still have questions? We're here to help. Please contact us at email@example.com.