Federal Motor Vehicle Use During Emergencies

The following information is provided to assist individuals and agencies in using motor vehicles for emergency situations:

  • If vehicles or equipment are needed to respond to the emergency or to replace damaged vehicle and equipment contact the GSA Fleet Short-Term Rental program at gsa_rental@gsa.gov or 866-886-1232.

  • If you are driving a GSA Fleet leased vehicle and you need emergency roadside assistance or a tow please call the Maintenance Control Center at 866-400-0411. For after hours assistance call 866-939-4472 - it's the number on the back of the Fleet Services Card.

  • Any GSA Fleet leased vehicles damaged in an emergency must be reported to the GSA Fleet Accident Management Center (AMC).

  • You may not drive Government motor vehicles home unless the head of the agency has authorized home-to-work transportation for employees. This determination must be in writing and the initial determination cannot be effective for more than 15 days. Determinations should be completed before an employee is provided with home-to-work transportation unless it is impracticable to do so.

  • In accordance with 41 CFR 102-34.325(a), Federal motor vehicles must be fueled with the minimum grade (octane rating) of fuel recommended by the motor vehicle manufacturer, unless a higher grade of fuel is all that is available locally. This provides for circumstances in declared emergencies where higher grade fuel may be the only grade available.

  • If there are any questions or concerns about using government motor vehicles to respond to relief missions or an emergency, please email vehicle.policy@gsa.gov. Drivers should consult with their agency fleet manager for agency-specific policy.

Last Reviewed: 2021-04-07